Thursday, April 29, 2010

Xiao Ye Posters


A lot of people have asked what we're doing with the interior of Xiao Ye. I don't know how to explain what we're going to do but its going to feel like someone's funky outdoor patio in Taiwan where they have dinner parties. You have personal effects on the walls, funny signage, interesting things on tables, etc. We're going to have family items as usual, but I really like night market art and signs. So, I'm posting here some of the art/signage I liked that we are using as inspiration for the stuff we're creating for the restaurant. I didn't buy any signs because Ning is going to re-create/re-mix what I took photos of. The above sign says "Jioh" or alcohol. Its a sign for an old school watering hole.


If anyone knows what the current manifestation of this is, I will guarantee you a spot to soft opening.... I'll give you a hint, "He Sung Pai was a popular drink and it still is, I get more props and stunts than bruce willis."

Whuts really good ma?


I'ma andy warhol this jump-off and put it on the wall. all we do is win championships

A lot of the ads have a Japanese flavor due to the occupation back in the day. Even now, people in Taiwan love Japanese stuff and there's a lot of Japanese influence.

Simultaneously the most offensive and popular toothpaste in the motherland........ we probably won't be posting this at the spot, but its history that we should remember nonetheless. no mo ignance!!!

This is a famous Goose Meat vendor in Taipei. My mom's been going here since she was a kid and lived around the corner. I love the sign!

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's root beer, Sarsaparilla.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read a bunch of your posts and damn you are pretty damn funny haha.. looking forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. andy! not TOTALLY right, but very close... i think your second post you removed had it though. Its the original logo for Hey Song Sarsaparilla. Shoot ning@baohausnyc.com ur info, she'll get you a spot to soft opening

    ReplyDelete
  6. donna thanks for the comment donna!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks. I'll email her now.

    For the record, I read your blog regularly, live in Chinatown and was born in Taiwan. I've been to Baohous a few times so I look forward to Xiao Ye.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh man, i just got to this post...too late. My fridge is packed with Hey Song "Sa shi". do you drink yours with salt? regular Hey Song soda is good too, but I never see it here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete